Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Tamiya Lotus 79 1979 WIP

I've decided to keep WIP in my blog and not to post into f1m.com forum. There are probably hundreds of Lotus 79 build going on by other modelers. Mine is nothing special. So, here we go with first updates.

After removing parts from trees and sanding seam lines off. I've glued together parts, which need to be pre-assembled before primer and painting. I've decided to assemble monococque parts before painting, so I could putty some extra seams, which would be visible otherwise. Assembled main body panels, engine and gearbox. All need seams to be puttied before painting. Tamiya DFV engine shows it's age. It also looks like injection molds are getting old. Some flush plastic and resulted parts aren't as clear as rest of the parts from new molds. Now I can understand why Hasegawa DFV engine could be a better choice. I started to wonder if engine block from Hasegawa could adopted for Tamiya kits.

Next is preparation work. Hectic, but needed to get good looking model at the end. Used white putty on body parts, because I plan to prime it with white primer, so main color is less affected by primer layer. Rest of the parts could do with gray primer. Most of them will either have black base applied before Alclad paints or Alclad paints would be applied directly over primer. Only few Alclad paints actually need gloss black base - Polished Aluminium, Steel and Chrome. Other shades go fine over gray primer base.

No comments:

Post a Comment