Thursday, August 30, 2012

MP4/22 rescue build

I've been thinking for a while about how to tackle front wing assembly. There are 5 items which I would have to hold, apply glue over and then put together and align properly. I've come up with a simple jig from Lego block and some blue sticky tack. And it worked. Lego blocks help wing end plates to align. Sticky tack held planes in place while I was applying glue and attaching end plates. Here are some photos, before glue was applied.

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

MP4/22 rescue build

Both front and rear suspension were test fitted, modified as required and main component assembled with epoxy glue. It went together much better then I expected, having done almost no test fitting upfront, before paint. Not perfect and wheels will probably not have caster and toe-in angles I would like, but will most likely be acceptable. I plan to use epoxy again when I get to attach wheels and try to do some final adjustments then. Uprights aren't fixed and just mocked up for photos. They need re-paint, before final assembly.

Monday, August 13, 2012

MP4/22 rescue build

More small things done. Installed rear stop light, rear mirrors' PE faces and bottom plank. I use wood like material from KA-Models. Good stuff.

MP4/22 rescue build

Yes, it's like "back from the dead" for this model. After being on hold for about 9 month, I've finally turned my attention to it and made some progress. Not much, but took quite a bit of time. Painted exhaust pipe tips and axles, fitted exhaust covers and tips. And last but not least (about 3 hours in total) fitted engine cover PE winglets. It was quite a pita to attach them. I've used epoxy glue for this. Epoxy is kind of becoming my most used glue. Z-poxy one I use dries clear and it's a big help for places where excess glue could be very visible. Besides 5 minute set time leavs good room to do adjustments if needed, while glue sets.

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

F2007 is ready for assembly

I've finally get my motivation back and returned to Fujimi F2007 build. Hiatus of this build was mostly caused by my fear of rear wing assembly. I subconsciously knew it's not going to end happily. After glue settled and all weights removed it still remained a bit skewed and not 100% straight. Overall better then I've feared though. Then I've applied all remaining decals. Used decals from F60 kit to represent body fasteners. They look acceptable, imho.

Well, it's not going to win any contest, but there is always next model and a hope that next one will be better.

First side view before final assembly push.

Next, engine cover with fasteners simulated by decals and attached winglets.

Nose cone and top camera with decals applied

Finally different angles of rear wing. Last pictures clearly shows tilt to the right.