Thursday, May 5, 2011

Tamiya Lotus 79 1979 WIP

Mated engine/gearbox with monococque. That's was first time for last two builds of Tamiya kits when I got an issue. Under body panels do not fit very well because of interference with exhaust pipes. I might have done something wrong, but I'm not sure what. Had a bit of struggle to align engine and body parallel to the ground. Had to remove some plastic here and there. Finally got it ok, but in the process of multiple test fittings I've rubbed some Alclad paint of. Now I have to fix edges on monococque and re-paint engine trumpets. Alclad's own enamel black base does not work that well for me. I found Tamiya TS-14 to provide better base for Alclad metallic paints. Will use TS-14 from now on.

This is how it looks right now with body panel temporary on. Body panels still need to be painted black inside. Then I will attach the remaining detail parts. Last part will be wheels and tires. I plan to try using tire stencil again. According to other modelers tire markings on cars from that era weren't crisp and were made via real size stencils. Hopefully I will have better luck compare to markings on modern tires.

No comments:

Post a Comment