Monday, March 17, 2014

Main livery decals completed

Applied many more main livery decals over weekend. Good news is that I've completed most challenging ones and only few small decals are left to add. Had to do some mock assembly to be able to align doors and side body panels, so I could apply those big overlapping "FINA" decals. Also almost finished front hood. I had to do quite a bit of patching for decals over complex shapes. Luckily MFH included some spare colour stripes and I had left over white decals from F248 kit. Overall I'm happy with result.

MFH decals are very good quality, but even MFH provides flat decals, which supposed to cover curved surfaces. I had issues on those red stripes of American flag. Decals just wouldn't lay flat over curved fender's surfaces. It's not that visible from a distance and hopefully clear coat will mask those wrinkles a bit more. However I can never understand why kit makes keep making flat decals for highly curved surfaces. Not amount of Micro-Sol can solve my issues. I've seen only one kit - Studio27 MP4/27, where they actually changed shape of flat red decals to conform better to highly curved side pods.



1 comment: