Monday, August 25, 2014

Mini review of Thunder Valley F1 1/12 scale “Formula Perfect” super kits for McLaren MP4/6 and FW14B

I've received my copies some time ago. Everything was packaged nicely and shipped on timely manner. Detail sets currently produced do not include turned parts for dumpers.

Overall impressions are positive. Spoiled by cheap and inexpensive photo-etch sets from China and Japan, I felt that there could be more PE parts for the price. But I guess it costs quite a bit more to produce those parts in USA. Besides, I understand that PE parts on rubber backing are even more expensive to make.

I especially like turned velocity stacks and cast in resin replacement air box bases. All the turned parts look very good and their price to quality ratio is excellent, in my opinion.

Wheel Nuts/Spindle sets have to be ordered and purchased separately. Machined parts look very good to me. Again price to quality ratio is excellent for those sets.

It is claimed on TVF1 site, that some of their detail sets provide more PE items compare to sets produced in the past under Perfect Parts brand. I've reviewed images I have of PP parts and beside washers and turned dumper's parts, I think TVF1 sets cover pretty much same set of parts as PP sets.

I have to wait till I actually build my 1/12 kits to make a conclusion on how much extra TVF1 sets add. But from visual review I think they look to be a great value for the price and should add quite a bit of details to the builds of already excellent Tamiya kits.

FW14B set from Thunder Valley F1 is actually unique and does not have similar set available from Perfect Parts.

Also note that brake detail sets were always separate sets and not included in Perfect Parts sets. Same goes for Thunder Valley sets - brake detail sets are separate products.

My understanding is that it is possible to get turned dumper parts from Thunder Valley as well, but they are made per order and availability is sparse.











1 comment:

  1. You are a lucky man....posting these on F1M is like opening a can if dorms....lol
    Thanks for showing them out of the boxes.

    ReplyDelete